I saw Divergent the other day. I have a lot-ish to say about it, but don’t actually want to write a real review. That just seems like more work than the movie deserves. So, I figured I would just post my notes that I made of my thoughts as a series of bullet points rather than writing them out as full sentences and supporting thoughts.
So. Here you go.
• It is your basic Post-Apocalyptic Survival Tale as metaphor for Junior High School. Just like The Road.
• Not as bad as Twilight (which I haven’t seen), but still not as good as the first Hunger Games (which was just okay).
• I expected it to be much lamer than it ultimately was.
• It felt like one really long first act.
• The 12 hour running time was probably a bit excessive.
• Shailene Woodley was kinda bland and uninspiring.
• Ashley Judd’s face looks like it was beautifully sculpted from recycled plastic.
• C’mon!! Four and Triss grew up in the same neighborhood and their parents worked closely together and they didn’t know each other?
• How old is Four and should he really be hanging out with Triss who looks like she is 15?
• Kate Winslett getting her comeuppance was strangely satisfying.
• Didn’t quite understand the practical contributions of the different factions to the smooth running of civilization.
• Seriously, no Faction for Textile Based Manufacturing or Construction or Sanitation Services?
• It is quite clear that I am not the demographic for this movie.